Full Stack Engineer
Sittercity’s mission is to make child care finally work. We pioneered tech enabled child care in 2001, and we connect millions of parents with babysitters and nannies every year. Recently recognized as a 2018 Chicago Innovation Award winner and one of the best places to work by Crain’s and Built in Chicago, we are building a platform that is radically simplifying the way we find, book and pay for trusted care. Headquartered in Chicago, we serve families and caregivers nationwide.
What You’ll Do
Sittercity.com is a monolith rails application, and while this architecture has served us well, we are now ready to take things to a different level with a brand new set of API’s and a new vision to push our products forward. As a full stack engineer you will bring your extensive knowledge of modern web technologies to architect and build a fast, responsive and intuitive web experience for our users.
This is an exciting opportunity to work on a small team and be the person who decides how our new web experience is built. We can’t wait to see what you will achieve!
- Collaborate with product managers, designers and various stakeholders across the business to conceptualize new features.
- Brainstorm with fellow team members to estimate the feasibility and implementation strategies of deliverables.
- Work within a Ruby/Rails environment to maintain and extend our current applications.
- Design and develop API contracts to be consumed by stakeholder clients (e.g. mobile team).
- Architect and build robust software using modern web technologies.
- Provide front end support for existing products as well as evaluate solutions for marketing initiatives such as CMS, landing pages, email templates and A/B testing.
- Optimize front-end code to ensure a consistent and fast experience for our users, both desktop and mobile web.
- Mentor other engineers and help with code reviews.
- 5+ years experience building and debugging highly-scalable interactive web applications
- Firm knowledge of Ruby on Rails
- Experience with modern front end frameworks (e.g. React, Preact, Vue, etc.)
- Have strong opinions about web front end architecture but appreciate other team member’s feedback
- Have a positive attitude and a desire to learn and teach
Benefits and Perks
- Support for flexible and remote working environments
- Food and healthy snacks throughout the day
- Ping pong, foosball and on-site fitness center
- Company events, social outings and volunteer opportunities
- Open personal time off policy
- Industry leading maternal and paternal leave
- Subsidized use of Chime for personal childcare services
- Great benefits package, including; health, dental, vision, disability, life, 401(k)
Sittercity is committed to hiring a diverse workforce. We consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis as prohibited by federal, state or local law.