Engineering Manager - Sustainability
Braintree lets you move money from one place to another safely and securely. Every time you pay for an Uber ride, book a stay through Airbnb, or pay with PayPal when you check out online, you’re probably using our product. It sounds complex (and it is), but we make it so simple you can’t tell we’re there.
We solve world-scale problems and provide opportunities to match. We build diverse teams that recognize our strengths and allow us to work on our weaknesses. You bring skills and a relentless focus on the customer, and we'll provide the support you need to do the best work of your life.
Check us out: GitHub | Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | The Muse | Glassdoor
The Engineering Team:
Our focus is teaming with smart engineers who are passionate about their craft and excited to build software for our unique solutions in the space.
At Braintree, developers have the chance to work on various teams and stacks. Although most of our software is written in Ruby, we believe in using the best tool for the job. For example, we’ve written data platforms in Clojure, payment gateways in Java, and contextual commerce in Python. Here’s more:
- Communication is key to our process, and we don't want to hinder it with walls. Many teams program in pairs, which means you always have another set of eyes to help you.
- We practice test-driven development and believe that it helps us deliver simple solutions focused on real customer needs. We have no QA department -- developers test, release and monitor their own code.
- We keep the team in sync with daily stand-ups and have regular retrospectives to discuss things that are going well and opportunities for improvements.
- We value unique perspectives brought by diverse backgrounds and experiences. A broad range of ideas and perspectives help us to create the best possible product.
The Sustainability Engineering Manager Role:
Our Sustainability Engineering Manager manages our Sustainability Engineering team in our platform organization. As part of our Platform Applications group, Sustainability is focused on providing scale, reliability, and performance for internal customers and our merchants. The team does this by ensuring code quality across our Braintree organization and providing maintenance support for our software systems. Here are some projects we’ve worked on recently:
- Developed a per-pull-request code linter: We developed a gem to show Rubocop violations for pull request diffs and integrated it into our CI pipeline
- Built an automated test harnesses for compatible serialization formats: By running our test suite using previous schema versions, we can detect when a backwards-incompatible change is added
- Upgrading our Rails monolith to the latest Rails and Ruby versions: We maintain modern versions of Rails (5.1) and Ruby (2.4) for our nearly one-million line Rails monolith
- Developed Ruby gem for GDPR support: Our RedactedRecord gem makes it simple for other development teams to mark and redact their old personally identifiable information.
As an Engineering Manager, you will work closely with the team to develop improvements to our software engineering platform. You will have a deep understanding of the people, technologies, and practices of the team, and apply your expertise to plan, prioritize, and execute. You will support the self-development and career growth of your team members, as well as foster a supportive, inclusive, and collaborative environment in which people do their best work.
- Provide a vision for the team with regards to its mission and roadmap
- Build a deep understanding of how our products work and are built. Though you will not be expected to regularly code, you will need to fully grasp code and architecture concerns.
- Own the efficiency, growth, and delivery of the Sustainability engineering team, making sure the team is as productive as possible to complete short term and long term objectives.
- Manage the career path and goals of your team members, conducting regular 1-on-1s and giving feedback.
- Own and continuously refine the processes and communication strategies your team uses to build and support products.
- Work with the team’s Tech Lead to ensure that the roadmap is realistic and understood.
- Work with your manager to turn the roadmap into staffing needs and a hiring strategy.
- Open dev days: every two weeks we spend a day working on projects that interest us and help us expand our skills and knowledge
- Product conferences: we support our team members participating in the development community and help cover travel and attendance costs for product conferences
- Check out our Careers page for more company perks
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply. You can also check out our FAQ!