Engineering Manager - Platform
At Sprout Social we are building software that is made to last. Our 25,000+ users rely on us daily to reliably connect them with their customers, so scalability and performance are top of mind. Sprout Social is used by companies like Evernote, Grubhub, West Elm and Edelman who rely on Sprout to create stronger relationships with their customers through social media.
Code quality is an essential ingredient to keeping our platform flexible and rapidly reacting to changes in the market and social media networks. Our systems execute at scale while staying nimble enough to keep up with new capabilities being offered by social network APIs. Our team uses a variety of technologies, including Java, Python, MySQL, Cassandra, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, NSQ, Docker, and Kubernetes.
We do not operate as lone wolves, cowboy coders, or “10x devs.” Instead, we’re building diverse, collaborative teams that get the best results sustainably. Embedded as a member of one of our cross-functional engineering squads, you will be part of the day-to-day Agile development environment. Your role on the team will be that of 'player-coach,' working alongside your direct reports while also carving out time to help direct and support their professional development. While you should be excited about writing and shipping production-level code, we want you to be equally excited about the trajectory of your team and your part in forming them as stellar software engineers.
We’re looking for a creative, collaborative, highly motivated, and inquisitive learner to build great software with us. If you confidently write web applications using Java and Python, are excited to guide other engineers with their careers, and are passionate about learning, we’d love to talk with you!
Within 1 month, you will:
- Complete Sprout’s New Hire training program alongside other new Sprout team members.
- Develop and deploy changes to our production systems.
- Interact with SQL or NoSQL data stores and NSQ messaging queues
- Collaborate regularly with your product manager, QA engineers, and fellow developers to deliver value to our users.
- Log into our remote Linux servers and monitor the status of our services.
- Get regular team feedback on your code through code reviews.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Focus on code quality with meaningful test coverage and legibility.
- Decompose work into small, similarly sized units so that estimation is unnecessary.
- Work with your product manager and fellow developers to create and prioritize quarterly team goals.
- Contribute to our Agile culture of continuous improvement through retrospective meetings and experimentation-oriented thinking.
- Build connections with members from other teams through guild meetings and chapter outings.
- Participate in technical design meetings with your teammates to walk through new feature ideas.
- Work with Product Managers, UX developers, and Front End Designers to come up with the MVPs of new features.
- Be the first line of defense against product outages and bugs while on support duty.
- Maintain and build upon systems that handle hundreds of thousands of messages a day.
- Learn Sprout's management practices and tools.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Meet with direct reports regularly and provide them with direct constructive feedback on their work as well as formulating career growth plans.
- Participate in Engineering management discussions in order to learn from peer managers and to share lessons learned.
- Participate in management workshops designed to level-up your feedback and coaching skills.
- Mentor junior teammates to provide guidance and coaching on code implementation, design review, and other software engineering and Agile practices.
- Integrate and use monitoring and alerting tools to know about problems before our users.
- Be “point person” on a project, including writing design documents, coordinating dependencies, and acting as domain owner.
- Create and manage concurrent, distributed systems.
- Build your engineering skills by attending in-house presentations, workshops, and training sessions.
- Form a career growth plan with your manager and work towards it.
- Partner with the Infrastructure team to improve your team’s ability to deliver reliable, highly available services.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Complete career ladder and performance review evaluations for your direct reports.
- Actively mitigate risk of failed delivery and missed deadlines through courageous, transparent communication with colleagues and stakeholders throughout a project life cycle.
- Lead technical architecture meetings.
- Identify technical debt and performance bottlenecks within our systems, come up with a plan to improve the code, and get it pushed to production.
- Mentor junior developers, helping them level up technically.
- Build connections with members from other teams through active networking and community building.
- Have opportunities to contribute to in-house technical presentations and workshops that share your expertise with large groups of Sprout developers.
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change your team in beneficial ways that we haven’t even considered yet.
Of course, what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We believe that true employee engagement cannot happen if you can’t bring your whole self to work, so we’re committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture and investing in equity across our organization. That dedication is core to Sprout. We want all candidates, particularly those coming from traditionally underrepresented groups in the technology industry, to know they are welcome at Sprout.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program and free Divvy bike memberships
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members