Embedded Systems Engineer [Wireless Low Power Sensing Systems]
Amber Agriculture is an early-stage startup on the frontline of internet of things technology development in agriculture. Leveraging the latest in analytics and automation-- Amber’s new, industry-first wireless sensors power practical decision-making tools for farmers. The team’s flagship offering aims to help farmers manage and protect grain assets. Amber’s IoT enables them to deliver the highest quality grain at peak moments so they can capture high market prices.
Amber was launched at the University of Illinois, accelerated @ Hax (China) + Alchemist (Silicon Valley), and is now headquartered and building in Chicago. The company’s co-founders have a farm + fitbit background, and were named Best Startup at the world’s largest tech show, CES in Las Vegas in 2017.
Amber is hiring an Embedded Systems Engineer to help extend our ultra low power network protocol and implement low power sensing techniques to unlock insights in our food.
You will be responsible for programming life into one of the world's smallest and smartest sensor systems. Interested in ultra low power sensing(we're talking nA and uA here!), mesh networks, and automation(IoT) - this is the position for you. As a core member of our team, you will help create “bulletproof” firmware for robust, ultra-low power connected sensors and architect solutions for exciting technical challenges from supply chain optimization to food end-trait tracking.
We’re based in the city in Chicago, IL. Come join our team on this awesome journey to protect our world's food supply!
What you’ll do:
- Extend our low power mesh network protocol to be more robust and even lower power.
- Further explore and implement low power sensing techniques to grant insights in food handling and storage.
- Collaborate with our hardware and software engineers to extend connectivity and sensing on our embedded devices.
- Occasionally travel to China to help support device bringup and debugging in manufacturing runs.
- Spend time with our customers to better understand their typical workflow, how they use software, and how we can improve both experiences.
Project or Industry work experience with most of the following:
- Solid understanding C in an embedded environment.
- Scripting language like python and/or UNIX shell in order to automate device bring-up and programming
- Embedded, real-time operating systems and multithreaded programming (RTOS)
- Wireless RF technologies and protocols (eg. ZigBee, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Sub-Ghz, 802.15.4) (Ad-hoc, mesh, or body-area networking technologies)
- Common communication protocols (UART,SPI,I2C,USB)
- Common embedded toolchains (eg. GCC,Keil,IAR,CCS) and version control systems
- Basic signal processing for sensor systems
- Basic understanding of digital circuits
- Full development life cycle from design, development, board bring-up, to product support
- Software engineering best practices for estimation, design, unit and system testing
- Hardware and Software debugging tools like printf(), oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, emulators, soldering iron, or hammers if necessary
- Constraints of and optimizations for small, real-time, ultra-low power embedded systems
- Low power management techniques commonly found in battery powered sensing devices
- ARM M Series Microcontrollers
- Experience with integrating cellular connectivity
- Secure communication protocols such as HTTPS and SSL
- IoT steaming protocols such as MQTT
- RF regulatory standards (eg. FCC)
- Self-starter with ability to work in a fast paced dynamic environment with general oversight and direction
- Loves to tinker, break things, self-learn.
We like to say we are a startup with significance, but don’t just take our word for it:
NAMED BEST STARTUP AT WORLD’S LARGEST TECH SHOW CES IN LAS VEGAS- Engadget
“Plenty of startups promise solutions to problems that are either overblown or don't really exist, but we can't say the same about Amber Agriculture. With Amber's array of sensors, farmers can more easily check the quality of their stored grain and get their wares to the companies that make our food at the right time. Beyond ensuring these farmers get the biggest return on their crop yields, the ability to monitor for the conditions that lead to spoilage could eventually help whole countries deal with food supply issues. Long story short: Amber's is a savvy approach to a pressing problem most people don't even know about-”
TESTIMONY TO THE UNITED STATES SENATE AGRICULTURE COMMITTEE- Ken Dallmier, President of Clarkson Grain
“A working system is being commercialized by Amber Agriculture whereby a transmitting puck about the size of a key-fob is inserted into grain at the field which is readable throughout the supply chain to the end-user”
AMBER AGRICULTURE: TOP 100 STARTUP POWERING THE FUTURE OF FOOD AND AGRICULTURE- CB Insights