Director Of Engineering - Restaurant Core Initiative
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for part-time work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 19+ million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 115,000 restaurants in 2,200 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
Long story short, keeping our people happy, challenged and well-fed is priority one. Interested? Let’s talk. We’re eager to show you what we bring to the table.
We are looking for a Director of Engineering to oversee our Restaurant Core Initiative. Within Grubhub, an initiative operates as an autonomous business unit spanning engineering, product, and the business. As an initiative owner, you will own the strategy, prioritization, staffing, design, and execution within that space. Our restaurants are a critical part of our marketplace bringing the ultimate product our diners want to receive. Our goals are to build scalable solutions allowing us to partner with the best independent and SMB businesses across the country and make them successful in our marketplace.
As a director, you will also be responsible for setting the tone for architecture, quality, culture, and recruiting. We firmly believe that the best leaders are those that are capable of execution and you will, from time to time, need to roll up your sleeves and participate in the nitty gritty.
This is a great opportunity to positively transform the lives of small restaurant business owners helping them grow on our platform and focus on delivering great food to our common customer.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Architect, implement, and test technology solutions at Grubhub
- Motivate and advise technical solutions across multiple cross-functional teams
- Take technical responsibility for a family of systems - manage technical debt, be on the lookout for opportunities for improvement, and work with system engineers to keep our production systems scaling and performing wickedly fast
- Actively contribute to the adoption of software architecture, best practices, and technologies. We are always improving the process of building software, we need you to help contribute
- Own your team's sprints, ceremonies, and deliverables committed to each sprint.
- Participate in future product direction
- Act as a technical voice for the restaurant technology group
- Encourage continuous delivery and an experimentation-centered development process
- Build relationships with business stakeholders
- Lead, coach, develop, and mentor a large team while constantly raising the bar.
- Positively evolve and maintain the Grubhub culture.
You Should Have
- 10+ years experience as a strong technical leader and proven ability to devise, build and release complex technical systems
- 10+ years experience leading high performance team in fast-paced organizations and environments
- Strong ability to collaborate with C-level executives and across broad organizations including product, sales, operations, finance, and care
- Demonstrated experience launching new products in high growth markets
- Experience managing or providing guidance to virtual team members and or teams
- Familiarity and comfort with data, including the ability to use data to analyze and monitor product health, set
- Ability to weigh competing priorities, manage tradeoffs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with stakeholders, driving to consensus while maintaining a clear focus on overarching technical architecture.
- Experience leading teams developing both front-end applications and back-end systems
- Demonstrated experience of growing top talent and addressing under-performers
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- PTO. It’s true, we provide you a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.