at Echo Global Logistics
As a DevOps Engineer you will work closely with Echo’s development and infrastructure teams to manage our middleware applications. You will help define the architecture and best practices for using these applications. You will guide developers as they use the middleware applications’ services, help our NOC configure monitoring, and coordinate maintenance activity. As new middleware applications are adopted by the organization, you will help evaluate them and make them production ready.
Essential Position Functions
- Have a passion for technology. It’s what you were born to do.
- Are interested in learning about a wide variety of platforms and technologies
- Love automation
- Are a quick learner. You dive right in to the documentation and aren’t afraid to try new things.
- Have a strong desire to help others and teach them how to use new tools
- Are organized, but are also comfortable working through unclear requirements
- Can easily work on projects that span multiple business units with a variety of stakeholders
- Are able to engage in healthy debate without getting personal
- Value passionate product people, technologists, go-getters who never stop seeking ways to advance existing technology and processes
- Have a high focus on career development and the runway to get you there
- Work hard and smart
- Offer competitive compensation, benefits, 401k, challenging projects, company-wide events, coworkers and leaders who will push you to get better, a sense of community not found elsewhere
- Define the server architecture and best practices for Echo’s middleware applications (such as RabbitMQ, Kafka, Redis, Elasticsearch, Consul)
- Assist developers with using middleware services in their applications
- Facilitate monitoring of middleware applications by our NOC team
- Plan and coordinate maintenance activity and upgrades
- Troubleshooting production problems and help resolve issues
- Evaluate new applications and integrate them into our systems
- Assist with capacity planning and disaster mitigation
- Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of experience managing production systems
- Experience with open source middleware services (such as RabbitMQ, Kafka, Redis, Elasticsearch, Consul)
- Experience with scripting languages (such as PowerShell, Ruby, Python, Bash, or similar)
- Knowledge of IP networking, DNS, load balancing, firewalls, etc.
- Experience with virtualization platforms such as Microsoft Hyper-V or VMWare ESXi
- Familiarity with administrative tasks on Windows Server and Linux
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including writing technical documentation
- Understanding of object-oriented programming techniques (with .NET, Java, Ruby, or a similar language) throughout the software development lifecycle; including unit testing, debugging, compilation, integration, and deployment
- Experience with container technologies (such as Docker, Kubernetes, Rancher, etc.)
- Experience with build, deployment, and orchestration technologies (such as Puppet, Chef, Salt, Ansible, Jenkins, Artifactory, Vagrant)
- Familiarity with development tools (such as compilers, IDEs, source control systems, logging tools, etc.)
- Experience with architecting and managing Cloud solutions using AWS, Google Cloud, or Microsoft Azure.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or Vietnam era or other protected veteran.