Chief Technology Officer
Built In is a network of online communities that has quickly become the #1 recruitment solution for tech companies and startups in six major tech markets. We are a company of entrepreneurs building the next best recruitment platform for companies like us.Built In is looking for a Chief Technology Officer, based in our Chicago office, who is responsible for overseeing all technical aspects of the platform. We are looking for an individual who can manage our tech team and direct the company towards its primary technical objectives, define and align those technical objectives with the strategic goals of the organization, and help Built In grow. In short, the CTO will create a technical vision for Built In and help us achieve that vision. Other highlights of the role include:
- Mentor, coach and lead a team of 6 engineers.
- Play an active role on the management team of the business, reporting directly to the CEO.
- Drive technology strategy and direction to make our business more competitive in the recruitment technology marketplace.
- Provide visibility to the leadership team on the development roadmap, sprints, expected timelines, etc.
- Bolster and further enhance our systems with a strong background in Software Development or Architecture to be hands-on as needed.
- You should have 4+ years of experience owning, managing and growing dev teams in a growth environment.
- You must have an understanding of high volume databases as well as backend experience.
- You must be comfortable being hands-on in coding and team leadership.
- You should have past experience as a Senior Software Developer or Software Architect.
- You should have a strong knowledge of agile software development practices, integration and release methodologies
- You should also be an excellent leader and communicator, passionate about building strong technology teams and being able to use technology as a key leverage point for the business.
What We Value
- Flexible personality – You should thrive on change while remaining highly organized, optimistic, and coachable. High energy and contagious enthusiasm help too.
- Communication - You should have the ability to speak and write clearly, concisely, and compellingly. Honesty, transparency, and thoughtfulness are a must. A bias towards action, seeking constructive feedback from customers, peers, and your team, and measurement and iteration are part of your natural process.
- Interest in and knowledge of the digital industry - You must be passionate about three things: (1) technology (2) building innovative digital products and services; and (3) helping companies grow. This is what we do.
- Willingness to spend the time to get the job done right and support our brand– The job involves working some evenings. If you are passionate about the company and what you are creating, this will not appear as a job but yet a combination of life and work.
- Culture fit – You will need to get along with our team (which isn’t too hard, we think!) as well as all the members vital to the community in which you are building. Humility, selflessness and strong work ethic are requirements.
- Education - We value intelligence, personality, experience and overall fit over a degree.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation, 401(k), stock options and benefits. We pay a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, and disability.
- Casual dress and flexible work hours. Come in your sweatshirt, jeans, college jersey. We don't care.
- Free food. We keep our kitchen stocked with free healthy snack foods. We also have cold brew coffee on tap and provide catered lunch (Monday - Thursday).
- Fun work environment. We operate as a flat organization where everyone is responsible to self-manage and take ownership of their work. We are humble, hardworking, honest and fun. And we regularly debate office pets.
- Open vacation & sick time. We let you take time away from work for vacation, personal or short-term sickness, as your good judgment and workload allow.
Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.