2019 Business Technology College Hire Program – Infrastructure Services Engineer (Undergraduate)
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Discover Financial Services is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. Our direct bank issues the companys flagship credit card business and offers an array of banking products, such as private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts, certificates of deposit, and money market accounts. Discover operates PULSE, one of the nations leading ATM/debit networks; Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in more than 185 countries and territories. For more information, visit www.discover.com/careers.
About the Program
The Discover College Hire Program is an exciting opportunity to work on challenging projects in a sought after work environment and culture. This program provides participants with:
- Interesting project assignments
- Real time and consistent feedback
- A team of resources to assist with training and career development
- Exposure to managers
- Broad knowledge of cross-functional initiatives, experience and career contacts
- Opportunities to interact with the executive leadership team through program events
As a values-oriented organization, Discover’s goal is to hire the best and brightest candidates as full-time employees after graduating from their collegiate studies.
Business Technology Track:
The Business Technology College Hire track merges leading edge technologies with customer-focused business solutions. Positions are primarily based at our Chicagoland headquarters (Riverwoods, IL) with potential assignments at other US offices.
Business Technology College Hire Program Highlights:
- Training on industry/organizational knowledge, technical and leadership skills
- Placement aligned to desired areas and abilities
- Challenging work assignments
- Dedicated program managers, experienced managers and knowledgeable mentors
- Interaction with other recent college hires through program events
As an Infrastructure Services Engineer you may:
- Obtain skills to design, implement, maintain and administer infrastructure components including hardware, software, operating system, and various software technologies.
- Learn how to work with the most cost-effective software products and enterprise building blocks that improve the efficiency, availability and performance of end user devices, infrastructure/application servers, cloud solutions (IaaS/SaaS/PaaS), storage systems, network infrastructure, middleware gateways, and related platforms.
- Test and validate new services being implemented and manage the ongoing health of services to ensure it meets service level expectations.
- Test hardware/software or research new technology and methods for improving the reliability and efficiency of software produced.
- Automate software and infrastructure builds & configuration management with CI pipelines.
- Provide incident and problem management as well as root cause analysis.
- Work in cross functional agile teams.
- Work with information security policy frameworks and identity management systems.
- Work with security infrastructure such firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention systems, and web content filtering.
- Promote a risk-aware culture; ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Individuals who will have completed a Bachelors Program by June 2019
- Working towards degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics, Management Information Systems, Information Security, Networking and Telecommunications, or a related discipline
- Other undergraduate classifications with relevant work experience and/or in a related field of study will be considered
- Individuals who have 1 year or less of Technology experience in the workplace
- A minimum of a 3.0 GPA on 4.0 grade point average scale
- This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication skills
- High energy and intellectual curiosity
- Strong analytical skills and a consultative approach to addressing customer needs
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems creatively
- Ability to apply previous experience and knowledge to new situations and problems
- Dev Ops principles and cutting-edge transformation
Technical knowledge and/or core understanding of the some of the following:
- Middleware solutions such as: WebSphere, JBoss, Tomcat, Apache, WMQ, DB2Connect, CICS Transaction Gateway, DataPower. and Google Search Appliance
- Windows Client/Server OS and supporting infrastructure (SCCM/SCOM/Active Directory)
- Linux/Unix OS and supporting infrastructure
- TCP / IP and Network Infrastructure Fundamentals (DNS, DHCP)
- X86 Virtualization(VMWare/HyperV/Acropolis/XenServer
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
- Hardware – Intel Servers/HCIS/End User Devices
- Storage Systems (NAS/SAN/iSCSI)
- Cloud Solutions (IaaS/PaaS/SaaS)
- Platform Security and Compliance/Vulnerability remediation
- Configuration Management/Automation Tools – Scripting/Chef/Ansible
- Security Tooling (IPS/AV/Encyrption/DLP)
- Next Gen Authentication/SSO
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!