Sr Mgr, User Interface, Zoro Tools
In the past seven years, Zoro has grown from a group of 6 people working out of a 2,000 square foot building, offering fewer than 100,000 products to a group of 250+ working out of a 60,000+ square foot building, offering more than 2,000,000 unique products.
ZORO is creating innovative digital solutions that are transforming the MRO Industry. We are looking for passionate, driven people who want to join a high energy, uber growth team.
This role will provide thought leadership on the Customer Experience team and throughout the company by defining a vision to delight customers across our website. You will lead a team whose focus is on creating styles and interfaces which engage Zoro’s 25 million users as well as maintaining brand consistency across our website. Your design prowess will show through the development of an excellent user interface team and the execution of enhancements to Zoro.com. You are as passionate about developing a team as you are for our customers, and passionate about solving problems through design. You have the ability to pay attention to all the details, but can focus on the big picture as well. You love to innovate, are not afraid to fail fast, and you are adept at teaching your team to do the same.
- Manages and develops a team of 5-8 best in class user interface designers and provides thought leadership, direction, and mentorship to achieve high quality design and visual communication of brand specific objectives and ecommerce strategies for Zoro.com
- Manages, plans, and coordinates execution of UI Design and processes to ensure quality standards are met from initial concepts through completed project.
- Owns the user interface design and CMS templates used by Zoro
- Owns the UI Patterns and Components Library and all processes connected to maintaining and rectifying discrepancies;
- Creatively manages available resources within an agile environment, and responds to shifting workloads and multiple priorities in order to achieve deadline adherence
- Ensures that creative output successfully communicates defined objectives and strategies of all stakeholders involved.
- Owns the design process and tools necessary for creating high fidelity mockups and prototypes; maintains an environment that fosters continuous improvement.
- Works closely with the Sr. Director, Customer Experience and Sr. Manager, User Experience to align operational design goals to strategic initiatives for Zoro’s web experience, and to create a world class website with beautiful, simple to use features.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with digital product owners to define the final design of features on Zoro.com
- Partners closely with the brand design team and promotion teams to ensure brand consistency and promotional presentation on Zoro.com
- Oversees the authorship of web style guide and processes related to the maintenance of the style guide itself and the styles in production on Zoro.com
- Maintain the UI Design JIRA board
- Provides conflict resolution with regard to internal team issues or with stakeholders.
- Leads alongside the Sr. Manager, User Experience critiques of concepts, page layouts, and designs for consistency of style and image applications and overall design effectiveness including eye flow, use of space and color, photo quality, cropping, and typography application.
- Researches and analyzes trends in the ecommerce space as well as the MRO Industry as it relates to design trends.
- Coordinates with Development and QA Teams to ensure proper adherence to brand and styling on Zoro.com
- Portfolio of UI focused work samples for web and mobile applications.
- 7+ years directly related professional web design experience. Experience in ecommerce setting a must.
- BA/BS/BFA Required, MA a plus, in visual communications, graphic design, web design, or similar field
- 5+ years of experience managing or leading design teams.
- Excellent people leadership, creative, and critical thinking skills
- Proven team-building skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with design team in a collaborative, dynamic, and agile environment with several internal partners
- Thorough and demonstrated understanding of user interface and web design principles and applications.
- Demonstrated success applying a design thinking process and agile methodology to daily tasks and long-term projects
- Proven excellence in visual design and user interface design for complex ecommerce websites
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Detailed functional knowledge of Sketch, Invision, Adobe Creative Suite
- Expert knowledge of industry standard prototyping tools like Axure, InVision or other
- Experience with content management systems
- Proven experience in process creation and improvement within field
- Experience in A/B testing, and creating interactive prototypes for responsive and mobile sites
- Strong collaboration, relationship building, and influencing skills with stakeholders and partners from a wide variety of functional areas and levels
- Committed to fostering learning and development environment
- Strong problem-solving skills and detail-oriented to the core
- An eye for detail, a passion for consistency, and excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrates the Zoro Values of Transparency, Ownership, Winning and Losing Together, and Customer Obsession
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.