Senior UX Content Strategist
Morningstar is passionate about helping our customers improve their lives through better investing, budgeting, saving, and money management. We reach millions of investors around the world through our consumer products, professional products and services. We strive to create beautiful, intuitive, industry-leading software that truly helps people.
We’re looking for a Senior Product Content Strategist to join our Individual Software team—an energetic group building software that brings clarity and confidence to people trying to manage and protect hard-earned money. In this role, you’ll work with design and business partners to write user interface content that is relevant, clear and meaningful. You'll also coach teams to define what conversations need to be had when, and how best to have them. This will often intersect with advocating for best-practice UX decisions.
Some of the things you might work on include packaging our data and analysis in ways that help a family plan for retirement while saving for college, explaining how changes in the market might impact someone’s portfolio, or using relatable language to build trust and ease apprehension around financial decision-making. Every day you'll be advocating for users’ information needs.
You’ll also be part of the broader Product Content Strategy team at Morningstar, where we champion content driving design through weekly office hours, ad hoc coaching and workshops, and special projects. With everything you do, you’ll help us promote good content stewardship across the organization by empowering everyone to feel confident writing for our users.
We’re looking for someone who’s:
• Passionate about content design, user experience, coaching, and hands-on writing and editing.
• Committed to user outcomes, business impact, and measuring both.
• Eager to master complex information, and able to simplify it so that everyone can understand it.
• Able to build meaningful relationships across multidisciplinary teams to cultivate empathy, while also moving a team forward.
• Deeply collaborative and can bring teams together to solve problems.
• Able to adapt their leadership style based on what the team needs, and is ready to take the initiative to get things done and ask thoughtful questions.
• A curious self-starter who isn't afraid of ambiguity and is eager to find problems and solve them.
• Comfortable with a fast-paced work environment.
• Willing to regularly reflect on their work, and continuously strive for better ways of communicating, coaching, and learning.
• Able to bring energy to a team and keep things positive.
In this role, you’ll:
• Know your product area inside and out, prioritize work where our team can have the most impact, and connect your content recommendations to user outcomes and business goals.
• Partner with others who develop content in other parts of the user journey – marketing for example – so that we can provide a consistent narrative that aligns with the Morningstar brand.
• Coach designers, product managers, marketers, client service teams, and engineers to write content that brings clarity and confidence to users.
• Work with cross-disciplinary teams to co-create content that helps them explain how to use the things they create.
• Help teams design and share their product's story through val prop and audience definition.
• Evaluate user-experience decisions and software flows as part of a conversation we’re trying to have with a user in order to help them succeed.
• User test product concepts to evaluate their viability / desirability.
• User test software flows or pieces of content within a flow to gauge comprehension, and use that feedback to push for refinement / improvement.
• Analyze quantitative data, and make recommendations on where to improve software experiences.
• Design in-app and email messaging / notifications related to using software.
• Write and edit product copy in natural language that helps people use things, with a focus on clarity, consistency, and understandability.
• Coach other Product Content Strategists.
• Champion the value of Product Content Strategy among other teams at Morningstar.
• Advocate for the internal and external users of our products, with a focus on tying their outcomes to business goals.
• Effectively manage multiple projects and deadlines.
Experience we’d like to see:
• 7-10 years of content strategy, user experience design, and / or writing experience.
• 5-7 years of experience designing for digital products and interactions.
• Demonstrated experience as a leader on a multidisciplinary product team.
• Confidence in advocating for and sharing user-centered design principles.
• Superb communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Demonstrated ability to persuade partners and diplomatically resolve conflict.
• Excellent organization and attention to detail.
• Experience in finance or a related field.
Please include a portfolio of work that you’re most proud of, so you can tell stories about your experience and the impact you've had. We're interested in the content you’ve created, and want to understand how you work with a team to solve content problems.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.