Product Designer, Mobile
Sprout Social is looking for a seasoned Product Designer to join the intersection of our Product organization and the creative universe at Sprout. There are several disciplines across our group; from defining brand standards, to developing stories expressed through video and motion, to creating delightful experiences for our customers through the art of Product Design. We're a tight knit group that proudly does 100% of our work in-house, right here in our downtown Chicago headquarters. Our brand is trusted and used by more than 20,000 companies around the world including Dropbox, Zendesk, Fender, Zipcar and Evernote.
We are looking for a Product Designer who will lead visual and experience design for the Sprout Social iOS, Android and mobile web applications. As our mobile design experience lead, you will help create a long-term design vision for our mobile applications, working closely with Core Mobile engineers and product managers to ideate and design new features, while supporting designers across the organization to ensure design consistency and alignment throughout our products.
- Express ideas and product enhancements through sketches, user flows, wireframes, prototypes, and any means necessary to clearly articulate a thorough plan.
- Maintain a working knowledge of evolving mobile design patterns and OS updates, and serve as an interpreter for the Product organization on the opportunities and problems those changes will present our users.
- Take ownership of core mobile design, from concept to reality. This includes generating detailed specifications and taking an active, hands-on Design role throughout the entire process.
- Maintain the Mobile Core knowledge center -- in documentation; in Sketch UI kits; in production assets; and in your brain -- for the mobile design system and mobile design workflow. Share knowledge with other product designers every chance you get. Contribute to and work within an evolving set of UI patterns that make up Sprout’s design system.
- Assist the Product team with defining scope and choosing the best approach to constantly ship and improve the product.
- Conduct research that defines customer goals and contexts with methods including interviews, analytics, A/B test plans and user testing.
- Write clear, concise copy to communicate to users through the app.
Desired Skills & Experience
- 3+ years of experience of web application design and/or native mobile app design.
- 1 year minimum of mobile product design, with portfolio of related work.
- Strong UI design sensibilities and a portfolio that showcases your work.
- Experience designing interfaces with Sketch or comparable tools. Designers here work in Sketch, Axure, CodePen and other tools. You can use the tools you prefer, but you will be using Sketch to maintain the mobile UI Kits.
- Experience with InVision, Zeppelin, Atomic, Axure or other interactive prototyping tools. We currently use Zeppelin and InVision for mobile.
- You understand and can advocate for designs that meet accessibility standards such as WCAG.
- You can explain the design choices you make in terms of benefits to our users. You can stand at a podium and explain those choices to a room full of product managers or engineers.
- You are able to work across and coordinate with various teams and stakeholders to ensure that your design output aligns with high-level strategies and visions for a full suite of products and features.
- You can maintain a design system that contains global elements, platform-specific elements and feature-specific elements, and have some idea of when to use each.
- You are familiar with the intricacies of mobile design and able to create/export designs and assets that match specifications for various platforms, screen sizes, and screen densities.
- You can speak to times when you had to balance technical limits with a best possible user experience, and had to strike a hard balance.
- You are a collaborative designer and you’re comfortable including and encouraging non-designers as peers in your design process.
- You have an understanding of mobile development teams, with the ability to listen to and advocate for engineers with your design choices and workflows.
- You believe in making well crafted things, you’re motivated by owning your work and require minimal supervision.
An online portfolio that showcases recent work is required. We’re not particular with the format; a website, PDF link, Invision Project or Google Slides are all fine. Applications missing this requirement will not be considered.
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We believe that true employee engagement cannot happen if you can’t bring your whole self to work, so we’re committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture and investing in equity across our organization. That dedication is core to Sprout. We want all candidates, particularly those coming from traditionally underrepresented groups in the technology industry, to know they are welcome at Sprout.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program and free Divvy bike memberships
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Sprout Social is an equal opportunity employer. Anyone seeking employment here is considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, Illinois, or local law. We value the things that make us different and want to see how you can make our team better!