Morningstar brings inspired problem-solvers together with one goal in mind—to help investors reach their financial goals. Since 1984, Morningstar’s been helping investors achieve their goals by developing powerful research, data, and investment management products. Today, we continue this mission in 27 countries and help millions of investors.
The Morningstar design team is dedicated to creating thoughtfully-designed financial products and services so that people across the world can make the best investing decisions for themselves and their clients. We synthesize complex financial information into experiences that help deliver better investing outcomes. We do this by not only creating the look and feel of a product, but also driving product direction: prioritizing the biggest opportunities to support our users and the business, while maintaining a strong sense of product ownership and its resulting success. The design organization is made up of several disciplines—visual, UX, communications, content, and research—united to help each other, and the whole company, grow. We’re always seeking designers who are motivated, driven to deliver user-centered outcomes, with an equal commitment to craft and compassion.
We’re looking for a UX Design Manager for our Investment Management team. Guided by Morningstar’s investment principles, this global team focuses on delivering great long-term investment results to help investors reach their financial goals. Our complete wealth management platform, Morningstar Managed Portfolios, offers a broad lineup of strategies built with stocks, mutual funds, and ETFs that advisors can use to help meet their client’s needs at each stage of their life. The platform also offers access to content, events, and thought leadership from Morningstar to help advisors best serve their clients. Everything we do is driven by our independent view, long-term investment approach and desire to always put investors first.
In this role, you’ll be a coach but also a player. You’ll inspire, direct, and teach UX and Visual Designers, Content Strategists, and User Researchers to ask and answer key questions for users and help grow our business. Your daily contributions will demonstrate how that’s done – working with product teams to orchestrate intelligent and delightful end-to-end experiences that are powered by clear and relevant content. You’ll use your strong UX and service design skills to design holistic user journeys, from awareness first generated in a marketing campaign, to opening an account, or getting directions from one of our advisor events. Your deep knowledge of our audience and business helps our customers feel like they have concierge service to premiere advisor content. You craft these end-to-end journeys while agonizing over the details, like the word choice in a call to action. You’ll rationalize your choices with data, user research, and your own rich experience. You will routinely check in with stakeholders across the company to keep them in the loop and elevate the contributions of other Morningstar designers.
This position is based in our Chicago office.
You'll need to be great at:
• Seeing the big picture and bringing people together to co-create a memorable and impactful experience for our users, focusing on user outcomes and business impact.
• Being able to build meaningful relationships across multidisciplinary teams to cultivate empathy for design initiatives, while also moving teams quickly toward releasable experiences through crafting minimum viable products.
• Understanding at an expert level how to provide solutions for complex navigation and information hierarchy challenges at a system level while also supporting a strong user-facing experience.
• Coaching your teammates on how to make decisions around information structure, relationships, and strategy. You know what questions need to be answered during product creation, and you can help others learn to ask and answer those questions without your help.
• Expertly utilizing design thinking methods in day-to-day work, including collaborating with the team to successfully incorporate these methods into an Agile process.
• Coaching other designers, business leads, and stakeholders in the values and methods of design thinking to solve user needs and realize business goals while also supporting our design culture.
• Identifying connections between products and communication channels and guiding teams to build and plan for coordinated solutions.
• Partnering with the product owners, marketing and engineering leads to support the end-to-end vision of the product.
• Being able to offer at least two solutions to every problem. You don’t need hand-holding, and you’re a curious self-starter.
• Thriving in an agile work environment, including the ability to embrace iterative product development while maintaining a cohesive and holistic view of the overall design experience.
• Being able to adapt your leadership style based on what each contributor needs to thrive. This includes providing art direction and constructive critique from every angle of the experience.
• Being able to have hard conversations when necessary around performance and product scope.
• Regularly reflecting on your work and interested in constructive critique of your own communication and coaching.
• Being able to keep things positive and clear when communicating.
You’ll also do things like:
• Lead and mentor designers to deliver Morningstar data, services, methodologies, and other content to clients and end users.
• Design and oversee existing and future user experiences for Morningstar Investment Management products. This includes helping junior talent understand product requirements to develop wireframes, sketches, diagrams, designs, prototypes with and without clear direction. People will look to you to swiftly synthesize and articulate complex problems, and to generate more than one potential solution.
• Advocate for the internal and external users of our products, tying their goals to business goals through data and user research.
• Effectively manage multiple products, projects, people and deadlines. This includes oversight of remote contractors that we may engage from time to time.
• Maintain rich contacts within a wide swath of products across the company, not just inside your business area.
• Communicate frequently with stakeholders, including your boss, the Director of Design for Professional Software.
• Participate in the larger internal and external Design community by contributing to special interest groups and helping facilitate events/trainings.
• Be an obsessive advocate for user-centered research and for a “design thinking” approach to creative problem solving during the entire development process, including product marketing.
• Participate in user-centered research with customers through interviews, usability testing, usage analysis, and participatory design.
• Use creative facilitation techniques and taking the lead at internal meetings and client meetings/calls to understand the problem space and foster a shared vision of the future.
• Recruit and help retain design talent.
• Lead the design team through definition, estimation, and scoping for all design tasks; pushing for accountability at every stage.
• Guide the team in communicating design solutions to development teams through prototypes, detailed specifications, and similar types of communication documents.
• Be curious about new technology and pushing experiences to be current and modern.
• Be able to write and present effectively; you’ll need to guide and persuade many opinions.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 7 years of relevant professional experience is required, including leading and managing a design team
• Experience in financial services and technology. Understanding of basic investment concepts and familiarity with wealth management domains related to financial advisor practices, portfolio management, portfolio accounting, performance reporting, financial planning, or investment products and analytics.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.