Associate Designer, User Experience
Morningstar is building software that users love. We are passionate about helping our customers improve their lives through better investing, budgeting, saving, and debt management decisions. We reach millions of investors around the world directly through our consumer products or indirectly through our professional products and services. We strive to create software that is easy to use, beautiful, intuitive, and the best in our industry.
Morningstar's unique culture values design and designers as part of our strategic foundation, alongside our technology and editorial/research peers. We expect a desire to dive deep and connect with data and editorial concepts and a passion for all things design visible in your work. We require a love of elegant interfaces, refined typography, and honestly visualized data where others see only numbers.
We are looking for an associate-level user experience designer for our Products group. This individual will support the UX design discipline within a cross-functional team charged with developing software for financial advisors and other financial professionals. We need a designer who loves the challenge of turning complex data into great communication design, translating usage patterns into intuitive interactions and workflows, and working in an incredibly collaborative environment. This position is based in our Chicago office.
You'll need to have these strengths:
• Experience design - Identify connections between products, services, and touchpoints to account for holistic user experience. Create personas, experience maps, and user journeys to identify pain points and opportunities within an experience.
• Information architecture - Solve a variety of navigation and information organization challenges, using deliverables such as site maps to visually communicate relationships between pages and content.
• Design thinking – Recognize user-driven problem solving and design thinking methods by preparing materials for workshops, contributing to research sessions, and helping the team create prototypes.
• Interaction Design - Create wireframes, low-fidelity prototypes, task flows and other artifacts to visualize and communicate design direction. Support the Morningstar Design System by defining and specifying consistent interactions, patterns, and conventions.
• Problem solving and initiative - Apply creativity, logic, and critical thinking in new situations to find the best solution while continuously striving to find better ways of doing things. Actively seek out new challenges and tasks and be tenacious in overcoming obstacles to achieve results.
You’ll also be expected to:
• Collaborate with the product owner, visual designer, and engineers on your squad to make product decisions.
• Clearly articulate design decisions and share your process with stakeholders and other designers when appropriate. Collect, interpret, and prioritize the feedback you receive.
• Participate in critiques, workshops, design studios, and other design activities.
• Participate in user research and prototyping activities, such as helping with planning, taking notes during sessions, and helping analyze the data.
• Be curious, resourceful, and have a desire to solve challenging information, communication, and systems design problems.
• Prioritize your work and know when to ask for help or clarity.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 1-2 years of relevant professional experience designing for software, web and/or digital products.
• Strong knowledge of Sketch, Invision, Microsoft Office Suite, and Mac OS X
• Knowledge of HTML and CSS
• Degree in a field related to human-computer interaction, design, library sciences, psychology, or communication
Please include a link to your online portfolio or attach pdf samples along with your resume.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity