Telematics Data Engineering Consultant
Founded by The Allstate Corporation in 2016, Arity is a data and analytics company focused on improving transportation. We collect and analyze enormous amounts of data, using predictive analytics to build solutions with a single goal in mind: to make transportation smarter, safer and more useful for everyone.
At the heart of that mission are the people that work here—the dreamers, doers and difference-makers that call this place home. As part of that team, your work will showcase both your intelligence and your creativity as you tackle real problems and put your talents towards transforming transportation.
That’s because at Arity, we believe work and life shouldn’t be at odds with one another. After all, we know that your unique qualities give you a unique perspective. We don’t just want you to see yourself here. We want you to be yourself here.
The Telematics Team
Arity Telematics incorporates techniques across many disciplines – including mathematics/statistics, computer programming, data engineering and ETL, software development, and high performance computing – with traditional business expertise with the goal of extracting meaning from data to optimize future business decisions. Individuals in this field should be fluent in several of these disciplines and sufficiently proficient in others to effectively design, build, and deliver end to end analytics products. Arity Telematics and Analytics is responsible for aligning with and contributing to company-wide objectives by identifying new product opportunities and enhancing current capabilities.
Arity Telematics Data Engineering Consultants are responsible for working as members of a product team to design proofs of concept and/or research data files using appropriate tools and software. This role will execute new work tracks from inception to prototyping as well as analysis of fully developed solutions. The role is responsible for data manipulation, providing best practices, data interpretation and training on products or research data. This person works directly with data scientists, data engineers, and product managers on needs and tactical solutions. This is a highly dynamic position that requires a high degree of flexibility, intellectual curiosity, and the ability to rapidly adapt to changing business needs, new technologies, and data sources. This role requires business acumen in order to provide the best technical solutions.
- Provide support on requirement development and assist in documenting requirements.
- Connect raw data to business meaning/use. Develop understanding of data generation and flows in context of business impact. Communicate data anomalies and support resolution.
- Work with data and product professionals on cross functional teams, developing subject matter knowledge in analytics and supported products.
- Support fast-paced ad hoc analyses, modeling file creation, and solution design.
- Outline structure for data collection to maximize analytic utility; prepare test data, reconcile data sources, and execute functional tests.
- Participate in an environment that supports innovation, collaboration, and process improvement.
- Ability and willingness to perform real-world tests (outdoor driving required) for research items such as: test how a mobile application is capturing driving data or when riding the train
- Attend required behind the wheel training and utilize skills when driving.
- Designs test protocols and writes automation scripts for applications/devices (Sensors) contributing data.
- Structures tests to ensure the release of the best possible product
- Coordinates with other stakeholders to capture requirements, analyze results, validate results and communicate findings
- Manages inventory of test sensors (mobile phones, tags, other connected devices) and allocates them to specific experiments
- Bachelors or Masters, majoring in a quantitative field such as Math, Quantitative Science, or Computer Science; or equivalent work experience
- Must possess active and valid driver’s license
- Intermediate analytical skills
- Intermediate experience in Python, SQL, and UNIX
- Solid experience in time and task management
- Strong attention to details
- Intermediate written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively collaborate with multidisciplinary groups
- Experience creating scripts with Python, familiarity with JSON and XML
- Ability to independently track and control deliverables without waiting for instructions
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of the fundamental concepts of mobile application testing and debugging
- Exposure to automation testing and object-oriented programming
- Experience with programming languages besides Python such as Java, R, C/C++, or Scala and tools such as Eclipse or Jupyter
- Familiarity with Apache Spark and/or NoSQL databases (MongoDB, Apache Cassandra, etc.)
- Experience with Agile methodologies
Heads up: when you click “apply now” you’ll be directed to the Allstate careers site. You’re still looking at an Arity job, but because we were founded by Allstate, we share the same application system.