Supplier Management Analyst - Chicago
This role supports the Supply Manager to achieve cost of goods sold goals across multiple product categories which range from $50M in COGS to $200M in COGS. The analyst is responsible for supporting coordination and communication with all internal stakeholders for any supplier related issues and leading all vendor negotiations / performance discussions on a periodic (monthly/quarterly) cadence. This role will also collaborate with the procurement enablement team as needed to drive best-in-class procurement process standards.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure Grainger has the best product assortment for our customers at the best cost.
- Ensure his/her team’s alignment to Company’s strategic direction.
Within the Product Category Review (PCR) process:
- Evaluate national brand supplier transaction performance
- Document improvement recommendations
- Provide analytical support for supplier negotiations
- Update contracts and establish new supplier agreement letters (SAL)
- Kick-off product life cycle activities (discontinuations, new item adds, etc.)
- Coordinate with supplier to support cross functional needs (enhanced content, product information requests, etc.)
- Procure national brand products based on plan
- Manage national brand product purchasing process
Ongoing focus areas:
- Support the Buyer/Sr. Supply Manager to execute all inbound and outbound supplier opportunities
- Inbound from supplier (examples): supplier driven product discontinuations, procure to pay issues, manufacturing issues, supplier relationship severance, product underperformance (damages, quality, warranty, etc.), product cost change (cost season and other one-offs), new product innovation opportunities
- Outbound to supplier (examples): sales force, quotes, RFP, cross-reference, and sourcing support, SSGP, escalations to drive business partner needs (PI, compliance, legal, supplier performance, Zoro, etc.), proactive management of commodity adjustments and business environment changes (bankruptcy, sale of supplier, market changes, etc.)
- Implement all needed changes in Grainger systems
- Provide analytical support as needed (cost season, commodities, etc.)
- Establish and track key commodity and supply market changes and keep buyer and merchant informed of any developments
- Coordinate needed communications with the supplier
- Support and execute a price/cost management strategy, which provides market competitive pricing, minimizes cost inflation, drives top-line sales growth and improves return on invested capital.
- Support buyer/sr. supply manager and meet cost inflation targets for the organization across $50M - $200M in COGS.
- Support efforts to help improve supplier relationships with Grainger and make it easier for suppliers to do business with Grainger.
- Collaborate with the merchandising to bring new suppliers onboard.
- Leverage supplier relationships to meet end-to-end needs across the business to improve customer and team member experience and grow revenue
- Coordinate supplier reach out efforts/needs (i.e. trade data compliance process)
- Supports relationships with suppliers globally. Will interact with key decision makers within the supplier’s organization including Vice Presidents, Presidents and CEOs.
- Work with Supply Chain partners to monitor supplier operational performance – and take appropriate action to improve performance.
- Leadership responsibility encompasses personal accountability and coaching of team to drive results through others with focus on improving gross margin (percentage and dollars), category ROIC & Economic Earnings, supplier performance, and product information.
- Lead teams to ensure product compliance with all US and appropriate foreign regulations.
- In addition, ensure team operates with highest level of ethics and integrity in conjunction with the GPM Professional Purchasing Guidelines and our Company Code of Conduct.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- BS/BA or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years’ experience in related field preferred.
- 1+ year’s business experience with a strong working knowledge of Supply Chain Management, Marketing, Cost Accounting, Finance and Economics.
- Must have an understanding of Company’s business direction, customer requirements, supply management-marketing strategy, and demand generation fulfillment process.
- Proven ability to drive and demonstrate results financially, strategically, and managerially.
- Possesses a clear understanding of suppliers, customers, Grainger’s strengths and weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Ability to apply visionary thought process in order to construct executable plans.
- Clear and thorough knowledge of the negotiation process and key stages: Sets high standards and expectations. Ability to maintain strong relationships and be able to influence them. Known as being tough but fair.
- Proven Change Management skills by inspiring teams to welcome change, embrace new directions, and future opportunities. Anticipates change and proactively prepares for it by defining objectives, responsibilities and time frames.
- Travel both domestically and internationally is required. Up to 20% of the time can be dedicated to travel.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.