Site Reliability Engineer - Data
PowerReviews Site Reliability Engineer - Data
Location: Chicago, IL
PowerReviews creates software that drives traffic, increases sales, and provides actionable insights for more than 1,000 brands and retailers on over 5,000 websites. Our platform serves as an essential resource for consumers throughout their purchase journey. Our syndication network reaches more than 500 million in-market shoppers each month through an unrivaled solution suite. PowerReviews is on a mission to create a smarter path to purchase.
Our platform is responsible for gathering, moderating, and publishing of user-generated content for our customers’ websites. Our highest application API volumes exceed 400K requests per minute all while exceeding 99.99% uptime SLA’s.
Our Tech Stack
Our technology stack is constantly evolving and our engineers are always looking to adopt new but relevant trends. We use open source software and AWS almost exclusively.
AWS: DynamoDB, RDS, Redshift, S3, ElastiCache/Redis, EMR, Lambda, CloudFront, SQS, SNS, CloudFormation, ECS/Docker, Elastic Map Reduce
OS/Misc Apps: Linux (mostly Amazon Linux), Alpine Linux, Tomcat, Nginx, ElasticSearch, Docker, Maven
Developer/DevOps tools: Jenkins for CI, Sumologic, Datadog, Ansible, Python, BASH
Frameworks: Spring (Boot, MVC, Security, etc.), React.js
Databases: PostgreSQL, Neo4J Graph Database, ElasticSearch, Snowflake
As a Site Reliability Engineer focused on data services, you will join a super-talented team of ops-focused engineers that delivers world class cloud-based infrastructure to support our global customer base. You and the team will own the cloud infrastructure to deliver best in class database solutions, plan for growth, analyze and fix problems in real time, and design and implement secure networks.
- Engineer and automate database infrastructure to ensure performance and reliability
- Orchestrate and manage the various AWS services that we use including; Cloudformation, DynamoDB, Redshift, ECR/ECS, RDS, EMR, ElasticSearch, ElastiCache, Elastic Map Reduce
- Design platforms for extremely high uptime metrics
- Own the security posture of the data layer
- Safely analyze and execute direct data operations in production environments.
- Interact with customer support and implementation engineers to resolve time critical database requests
- Perform operational DBA duties in a fast, complex environment - this will include patching, environment refreshes/cloning, database/application upgrades, user/password management, and implementing backup and monitoring procedures.
- Assist in the design and adoption of new database and infrastructure technologies.
- Improve processes related to the requests and software releases that drive our business.
- Shared on-call rotation responsibilities.
Requirements and Preferred Skills
- 5+ years of experience running a majority of the following database technologies: Postgres, Neo4j, Snowflake, Redshift, Hadoop, ElasticSearch, DynamoDB
- 5+ years of experience in site reliability, systems engineering, devops, or systems architecture on a high volume platform
- Advanced SQL knowledge
- Coding experience (e.g. Java, Python, Ruby or Shell scripting)
- Expert level Linux engineering skills
- Experience with a majority of the following tools: Ansible, Ruby, Python, Java, PostgreSQL, BASH scripting, service oriented architecture, public/private APIs, Git, Docker, Jenkins
- Advanced, expert level knowledge of the Amazon Web Services platform. You must have built complex AWS implementations before
- Past experience writing automation tooling such as Ansible, Cloudformation or Terraform
- Mastery of documentation and diagramming
- Strong communicator: able to effectively work with remote engineers
- A pragmatic approach to architecture and problem solving
- Lifelong learner, not afraid to take on new technologies