Senior Software Engineer - Data and Streaming Systems
Founded by The Allstate Corporation in 2016, Arity is a data and analytics company focused on improving transportation. We collect and analyze enormous amounts of data, using predictive analytics to build solutions with a single goal in mind: to make transportation smarter, safer and more useful for everyone.
At the heart of that mission are the people that work here—the dreamers, doers and difference-makers that call this place home. As part of that team, your work will showcase both your intelligence and your creativity as you tackle real problems and put your talents towards transforming transportation.
That’s because at Arity, we believe work and life shouldn’t be at odds with one another. After all, we know that your unique qualities give you a unique perspective. We don’t just want you to see yourself here. We want you to be yourself here.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for assisting with the design, architecture, implementation, performance tuning, monitoring and on-going support of Arity’s streaming and ETL platforms running within AWS.
We’re looking for teammates who bring in:
- Experience building highly relieable, secure and optimized streaming applications
- Expereince building data pipelines and capabilities to process data to and from disparate sources
- An understanding of large-scale data processing and data streaming tools
- Lead the effort in design and development of Arity’s streaming data platforms, doing heavy lifting in the infrastructure and designing data pipelines using distributed streams as a primary building block.
- Compose the building blocks of streaming architecture (partitions, producers, consumers, retries, guaranteed delivery) to fit Arity’s changing business needs by continuously improving speed, security and reliability.
- Provide hands-on leadership for data security, support, monitoring, and alerting of the distributed streaming stacks.
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Data Architects, Project Managers, Designers and other Engineers to develop full stack solutions for streaming data.
- Work in Agile/Scrum environment, design, estimate, test, and develop user stories.
Technical Experience and Skills
- Expertise in distributed systems architecture, stream-oriented architecture and implementations (Kafka, Flink, NiFi, Kinesis, Spark, Storm, Informatica or any other similar streaming library experience)
- 5 years’ of hands-on experience as a data, back-end, infrastructure, performance, or API developement
- 3 years’ experience building large-scale, distributed, high-volume systems with reasonably high throughput of data
- Ability to build and optimize real-time streaming and end to end data processing systems
- Understanding of Linux, Cloud (AWS), ETL, Message Queuing Systems and Software Development Processes
Understanding of data transformation specifications and data formats like JSON, Avro, XML, CSV, UTF-8, Base-64 encoded and standard HTTP response/ error codes
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in Computer Science or a related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education, with some relevant professional experience
- Experience with Java, Scala, or equivalent programming language, and knowledge on scripting languages like Python, Shell Scripting or equivalent scripting languages
- Passion for software development and ability to write source code, reuse existing components, and evaluate and integrated open source software into solutions
- Proven ability to lead multiple high priorities initiative with aggressive timelines leveraging an agile/scrum framework
- Comfortable performing in a fast paced, dynamic and ambiguous business environment
- Excellent listening and communication skills and strong problem solving skills with the ability to design and implement technical solutions
- Ability to lead a group of employees (directly or indirectly) and work in a team environment in a collaborative manner
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
That’s the day-to-day, now let’s talk about the rest of it. As we mentioned, Arity was founded by The Allstate Corporation. But you’ll be working for—and at—Arity. It’s the best of both worlds. You’ll get access to the full suite of Allstate benefits and work in a fast-paced startup culture. That’s more than just free breakfasts, brain breaks and ping pong. It’s a culture that encourages you to be you.
Sound like a fit? Apply now! We can’t wait to meet you.