Principal Cloud Data Governance Consultant
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Evolve and implement our long-term enterprise data management program as a leader of the Enterprise Data Governance team. Drive the data catalog, data quality, data stewardship, metadata management, and sensitive data management programs.
As a Principal Data Governance Consultant you will lead team members evolving and rolling out the data governance policies, principles and best practices across the company. Build productive working relationships with Business Technology and Business Unit teams to mature and implement the Enterprise Data Governance Strategy. You will also be involved in oversight for regulatory activities like privacy compliance and financial reporting while providing leadership and applying data governance concepts, principles, and frameworks.
This role is focused on AWS Cloud data governance control gates and implementing the associated processes and policies.
- Builds productive working relationships with the federated data governance groups within the company providing tools, capabilities and frameworks to evolve the maturity of those federated groups.
- Partners with external vendors and industry experts to evolve the data management and governance program using industry frameworks, templates and expert organizations.
- Leads the design, development, implementation and evolution of a long-term enterprise data management and governance program.
- Perform as a product owner and team lead with application development teams, data stewards, subject matter experts and other business and IT staff to execute data governance initiatives.
- Lead metadata management utilizing our data catalog tool building out our business glossary, data stewardship, data lineage, and metadata framework capabilities.
- Utilize data profiling and data quality tools with various data sources to uncover and determine root causes of data quality issues and then work with the data stewards to repair the existing data errors and implement remediation steps to prevent data errors from occurring in the future.
- Mature our data stewardship program and work with data stewards in business value added data initiatives.
- Evolve data governance policy and standard writing and review along with developing short presentations for the department and senior level executives.
- Utilize various IT frameworks (ITSM, ITIL, etc), guidelines and best practices to evaluate and make practical recommendations on IT data management policies, procedures, standards and controls.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 6+ years of experience in IT Work Experience, Data Analysis, Metadata Management, Data Quality
- In lieu of a degree, 10+ years of experience in IT, Data Analysis, Metadata Management, Data Quality
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Deep understanding of data governance concepts and tools.
- Deep understanding of AWS Cloud architecture and processes, AWS Certification a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with peers and upper level management.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Project, Visio and PowerPoint.
- Strong interpersonal skills including effective negotiation, conflict management, and ability to develop strong working relationships.
- Ability to create and deliver presentations on Data Governance topics to all levels of the company.
- Self-starter with the initiative to act upon opportunities with little direction and moderate oversight.
- Working knowledge of Cloud, Teradata, or Oracle databases.
- Experience with Data Catalog, metadata management and business glossary tools like Alation, Collibra, ASG Brocade, DAG Metacenter or IBM Business Glossary.
- Experience with Data Quality (DQ) tools like Ab Initio DQE, IBM Quality Stage, Trillium, or SAS Data Flux.
- Agile development methodologies or Lean Six Sigma
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!