Principal Business Analyst
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
This Principal Business Analyst will be responsible for providing strategic and tactical support in exploring new or enhanced business opportunities. This position will serve a prominent thought leadership role by conducting deep level analysis around operational procedures activities, solutioning options, risks and implementation of business strategies/opportunities in order to develop new or refine business functionality and deliver to the marketplace. This position will partner closely with client-facing team including Business Development, Product Managers, Operations and various levels of management.
Responsible for formulating systems scope and objectives relative to the organization’s business plan and industry requirements. Provides technical guidance concerning the business implications of the application of various systems. Provides technical consulting on complex projects.
- Responsible for analysis and design of business systems. Typical steps include: diagnosis of need and the development of a related requirement specification, system development planning, creation and implementation of a test plan, on-going project oversight during the development phase and comparison of the solution delivered with the original specifications.
- Acts as an intermediary between IT and internal clients. Applies specialized professional knowledge and techniques gained through advanced study to develop solutions, as appropriate, to analytical, commercial, operational, process or technological problems.
- Enhances, optimizes and automates existing processes and ongoing business processes.
- Support the introduction of new or enhanced business ideas/concepts. Ensure scope, deliverables and objectives are clearly defined and that milestones and timelines are established and met in order to meet business objective.
- Provide thought leadership on the development, integration and implementation approach for new business idea/concepts.
- Prepare clear and concise communications to internal and external business partners.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Project Management, Business, Information Technology, or related field
- 4+ years of experience working with the business in software development
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience in software development lifecycle-collaborating with business and/or BT coding, designing, testing, project management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to summarize and present information at the appropriate level of details for the intended audience across various levels
- Ability to express complex technical concepts clearly and effectively
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Proficient knowledge and understanding of Discover Payment Services applications and Products (example: Hydra, Xpress, DDX, Disputes, Acquirer / Retained Merchant Clearing Settlement systems, MFD, DCX)
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, facilitation and process mapping skills
- Ability to build strong business relationships with business partners and cross functional teams.
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!