Director, Manager Research Services
The Group: Morningstar’s Research group provides independent analysis on individual securities, funds, markets, and portfolios. The Research group also provides data on hundreds of thousands of investment offerings, including stocks, mutual funds, and similar vehicles, along with real-time global market data on millions of equities, indexes, futures, options, commodities, and precious metals, in addition to foreign exchange and Treasury markets. Morningstar is one of the largest independent sources of fund, equity, and credit data and research in the world, and our advocacy for investors’ interests is the foundation of our company.
The Role: As Director, Manager Research Services, you will help investors make better investment decisions--Morningstar's primary mission--by supporting the team that researches and recommends managed investments, including mutual funds, separately managed accounts, 529 college savings plans, and retirement investments. You will collaboratively work across internal and external teams to optimize research creation, delivery and efficacy, developing the business platform to enable Morningstar to interact with institutional clients in a full-service capacity. This position sits alongside other Research Directors and is expected to work with global business counterparts to ensure a common global experience. This role requires strong investment knowledge, sharp project-management skills, creative problem-solving, software-development know-how, solid communication skills, and a love of data. This position is based in our Chicago office.
- Act as the primary conduit between MRS clients and the Manager Research team for coverage management, specifically accurate tracking of coverage in internal systems.
- Work with Editor in Chief, Chief Content Strategist and Manager Research Services Product Managers to curate research content for clients.
- Participate in Manager Research coverage committees to provide a client perspective on future coverage needs and document coverage decision-making.
- Represent the Manager Research team in interactions with Product and Sales, actively helping shape service-level terms for Manager Research Services.
- Lead operations related to the team’s research and selection of managed investments, including client deliverables such as data, reports and presentations.
- Analyze team’s workflow and implement solutions designed to improve efficiency and efficacy.
- Consult on software design as it relates to internal research processes as well as external client delivery.
- Tap business-development leaders to evaluate potential client opportunities and scale operations accordingly.
- Lead global research projects that align data and analysis across regions.
- A bachelor’s degree is required; a graduate degree or CFA/CFP designation is desirable.
- 10+ years of work experience is preferred.
- Ability to work within an interdisciplinary team that includes investment experts, data analysts, designers and software developers.
- Project-management, business-development, data-integration and software-development skills are preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Passion for investing and for helping investors to make better investment decisions.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
036_MstarResearchLLC Morningstar Research Services LLC Legal Entity