Director, Distinguished Technical Fellow
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Advanced Analytics Platforms (AAP) team at Discover is looking for a Director, Distinguished technical fellow to provide critical thought leadership and direction to push the limits of technology improvement and innovation. This role will be responsible for translating complex problems into elegant solutions and business strategies into technology products. The Director, Distinguished Technical Fellow will architect and implement cutting edge technology solutions, mentor engineers, and lead through change. With a focus on providing senior technical leadership, this key influencer will leverage Discover’s next-generation data-analytic capabilities to drive the company’s best engineering practices and deploy across multiple platforms.
- Lead technical projects with a range of engineering teams to architect, build, and design front and back-end for all of Discover’s analytics platforms
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to hundreds of engineers at Discover, work closely with architects and business leaders
- Influence and establish best engineering practices through solid design decisions, processes and tools. Set goals, strategies, and oversee deployment of large-scale projects across multiple platforms.
- Develop multi-year product roadmaps, provide the vision and work with individual architects to translate this into tactical engineering blue prints
- Utilize in-depth knowledge of cloud technologies, software engineering, data engineering and data science to define the target architectures, patterns, and automation processes
- Attract, recruit and lead the industry’s best talent and simultaneously have the technical chops to ensure we are developing the appropriate data assets based on the highest value business use cases
- Industry thought leader and contributor to open source software community.
- Represent Discover at technical meetups, speak at external conference, and mentor junior engineers and architects
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 10+ years of experience within technology
- At least 5 years Data Science or Data Engineering experience
- At least 5 years of experience within software development
- At least 3 years of experience working with cloud data capabilities on AWS
- Master’s Degree or PhD
- 5+ years of experience with Cloud computing
- 5+ years software development experience
- 5+ years of database experience (SQL and NoSQL)
- 5+ years of UNIX/Linux experience
- 5+ years of Agile engineering experience
- 5+ years of experience in developing high volume transaction processing solutions that can be scaled for millions of daily transactions
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.