SPINS is looking to establish ourselves for design leadership across our rapidly-expanding products, including breaking new barriers on how information gets delivered, how it is accessed via desktop, tablet and mobile devices, and how we can establish an expectation with our clients of over-delivering on their product experience expectations.
As a Data Journalist at SPINS, you will be involved in every aspect of the of the data visualization and insights delivery working closely with product managers, engineers as well as our in-house team of business and field operations — you will have a strategic role in defining the experience across our portfolio of products.
We're looking for a data journalist who enjoys working with the complexities that is Big Data and the challenge of building data visualizations are clear, concise and insightful and work well on as many platforms as possible. Someone who sees themselves as a problem-solver, who can inspire others, collaborate with teams, and grow the value of our product offering. We foster a collaborative environment in which ideas are shared and feedback is welcomed. We work in a fast-paced, agile & lean setting in which data takes a crucial place in informing learnings and iterations.
Who we are:
- We eat collaboration and curiosity for breakfast
- We communicate quickly and succinctly
- We believe in roles instead of jobs
- We take initiative independently and hurdle challenges together
- We discuss, debate, decide and do with the same rapidity as we iterate our platform
- We are a talent ecosystem whose health is predicated on each individual’s ability to support every other individual’s success
While your talent and experience matter most, we have to mention these qualifications matter to us:
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, HCI, a related subject or equivalent work experience
- Strong proficiency with data-driven product design & software and in data visualization design
- A digital portfolio that displays a variety of interactive work showcasing your data visualization and storytelling capabilities
- Strong understanding of responsive design principles and best practices
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic and collaborative environment
- You are comfortable with the tools of the trade and can move across them depending on the task at hand: Adobe Creative Suite, Balsamiq, Sketch, InVision, Keynote, After Effects, etc.
- You are comfortable with data visualization libraries (such as d3, highcharts, chartsjs etc.) and the options available within each.
We’re even more impressed if you have:
- Work experience with another data visualization software or web-based product company
- Knowledge of BI Tools and their capabilities
- Conversant in front-end technologies: CSS & HTML
- Experience with user interviewing and usability testing
- Experience in working in an agile environment
- Excited by the challenge to delight users with new features they didn’t expect
- Are obsessed with delivering the most amount of value to an end user, requiring the least amount of their effort