Hello, We’re Built In
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. To help our partners attract qualified talent, we create content that tells their story in a way no job post ever could — and we put their jobs in front of people who were born to do them. Our audience of sought-after candidates use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and applying to jobs at companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston and Seattle.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be a part of the future of tech.
We’re looking for a Staff Writer, Brand Studio
As a staff writer, you’ll be joining a team of writers, editors, designers, strategists and UX experts working together to develop cutting-edge storytelling in support of tech companies big and small. At the highest level, we showcase and celebrate innovative technology, products and thought leaders across the country — and share those stories with the talent a growing tech company needs to thrive.
We’re on the prowl for a startup lovin’, detail-oriented and prolific writer with singular style and a never-ending hunger to do more. We’re growing — fast — and need your help to get us to the next level.
How you’ll contribute
- Produce high-quality and error-free branded content that captures an authentic, behind-the-scenes look at what it’s like to work at tech companies
- Write and edit 3-4 Employer Roundups each week, while helping in the production of our full creative suite on an as-needed basis
- Delight readers and customers alike with an amusing yet sophisticated voice capable of dressing up everything from startup culture to the technical benefits of coding using React vs. Angular — all while adhering to Built In’s signature style, voice and tone
- Communicate with internal and external teams to ensure all deadlines are met and production flows seamlessly
- Write social media copy for any content you author and own distribution on Built In’s Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn channels
- Do it all with an awesome attitude. We’re a collaborative, easy-going and down-to-earth team who likes to have fun together. There’s no room for ego at our table.
What you need
- 3-5 years of professional writing experience, with a history of producing content to meet — and exceed — both strategic and creative goals
- Experience producing paid content in support of brands is required.
- Enthusiasm about the tech industry and an eagerness to celebrate innovation. We are unapologetically positive and aren’t in the business of investigative journalism or hit pieces.
- You should be a digital native, capable of producing branded social media copy to drive audience growth.
- The ability to embrace change. We're growing fast and change is a constant. We look for people who are excited to help build something and who see every new change as an opportunity.
Impress us even more
- Entrepreneurial spirit and/or previous experience working in a fast-paced, scaling environment
- A love of to-do lists or other systems that keep you hyper-organized
- Client-facing communication or creative consultation skills
- Shared passion for our company’s vision and mission
What We Value
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.