Senior Tech Writer, Growth Content
Hello, We’re Built In
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. To help our partners attract qualified talent, we create content that tells their story in a way no job post ever could — and we put their jobs in front of people who were born to do them. Our audience of sought-after candidates use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and applying to jobs at companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston and Seattle.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.
The Sr. Tech Writer will be responsible for writing 2 - 3 long-form articles per week highlighting new ideas and diving deep into what makes interesting people and companies successful in the technology industry.
The Sr. Tech Writer will interview the most talented people across fields, disciplines and companies to surface actionable tactics — concrete actions people can take to live and do their jobs better today. Every article this person creates will contain advice and specific action items that can be applied immediately to make a difference.
This includes interviewing some of the highest-caliber people working in tech today, from founders and CEOs to the very best in design, product management, engineering, sales, and more.
A second-order goal is to reach readers who may someday become founders of companies, which includes telling bold, creative stories that will help readers learn and build new things.
- 4+ years of experience in a journalistic capacity
- Ability to interview tech influencers, from founders to the best in design, product, engineering, sales and more.
- Ability to tell bold, creative stories that attracts readers and helps them learn and build new things.
Most similar publication: First Round Review
Examples of articles this person would write:
- Trello’s Product Lead on the Unique Ramp to a 10-Person Product Org
- How This Head of Engineering Boosted Transparency at Instagram
- Lessons from Coinbase’s Wild Ascent: Four Rules for Scaling
- How to Shape Remarkable Products in the Messy Middle of Building Startups
- How Gusto Built Scalable Hiring Practices Rooted in Tradition
KPI’s: Views and Time on Page
What We Value
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.