Senior Editor - Dining
We are looking for an editor to guide the award-winning food and dining coverage at the city’s most influential magazine.
- Conceiving, assigning, and editing all content for the monthly Table section, from trend stories and personality-driven pieces to chefs’ recipes and extended restaurant reviews.
- Managing a team of freelance journalists and reviewers while constantly cultivating new writers.
- Enforcing filing deadlines and shepherding multiple stories through every stage of the edit process, from issuing contracts to fitting final layout galleys.
- Collaborating closely with the photo and art departments.
- Keeping abreast of restaurant and bar openings, in the city and the suburbs, and cultivating relationships with chefs and industry professionals.
- Overseeing, editing, and shepherding several major food-feature packages per year, including Best New Restaurants, and annual food-related single issue.
- Coordinating online coverage of the city’s restaurant scene, including the weekly Dishnewsletter.
- Assisting with video production, including voice-over and occasional on-camera work.
- Assigning, editing, and occasionally writing big food-related narrative features and profiles and sometimes features that are outside of the food realm
- A passionate culinary interest that is locally focused yet globally minded, wide-ranging but capable of going narrow and deep, plus a genuine love of restaurants both high- and low-end
- At least five years of professional experience as an editor or journalist at a newspaper or magazine
- Exacting writing and editing skills, with a sensitivity to creating fun yet smart and elevated copy
- A broad-based knowledge of cooking techniques and global cuisines and ingredients, as well as a mastery of standard recipe formatting and language
- A knowledge of the major players in Chicago’s restaurant scene, as well as industry-wide trends
- A nimble understanding of how to marry words with pictures in fresh ways to create smart, vibrant stories that command readers’ attention
- Proficiency with website CMS, Adobe InCopy, and the K4 file-management platform
Read Full Job Description