The photo editor’s principal duties are to prepare images, graphics, illustrations and other products for publication and syndication across the Tribune Content Agency News Service and other Tribune Content Agency products. Photo editors must possess initiative, creativity, good news judgment, design skills, copy editing skills, attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy, the ability to multitask and perform well under constant deadlines with only moderate supervision, a strong command of the English language, and editing and design skills that conform to accepted journalistic techniques and TCA. Photo editors producers are responsible for taking images and ensuring they receive proper vetting, coding and licensing before distribution to clients.
- Delivering on editorial mission of TCA, including news service, features and other products as crafted by editor in chief.
- In charge of compiling daily and monthly photo budgets and responsible for tracking and setting up delivery of photos to clients
- Exercising discretion and independent judgment on photo usage
- May gather and vet non-contributor photography for possible licensing
- May build photo galleries for the digital editions.
- Write captions and credits for some photos, checking with the photographers or contributors to ensure accuray.
- Researching photos and photo use and communicating rights and information concisely, clearly and to-the-point.
- Working closely with source editors, online producers and reporters to identify information that is best displayed visually or in a non-narrative form.
- Managing multiple assignments, short- and long-term, and meeting daily deadlines.
- Being fast and accurate: Being transparent about sources of information.
- Editing graphics for grammar, punctuation, clarity and accuracy; proof reading others’ work. Working with contributors and sources to clarify information to be published.
- Designing or editing pages, packages and graphics for syndication or distribution
- Using newsroom’s computer production system and outside software such as InDesign, PhotoShop, Intellitune and Illustrator.
- Editing photos: pulling photos from wires and other sources; cropping and auto-toning photos for publication.
- Meeting production deadlines and maintaining ideal content flow under minimal to moderate supervision.
- Executing daily editing and production of all TCA products and services.
- Ensuring accuracy and quality of all content distributed by TCA by delivering on standards and processes established by editor in chief.
- Working with external content creators (writers, artists, publications, websites, etc.) Managing as necessary freelancers and free-lance content for specialty products and custom content initiatives.
- Formatting content for delivery through syndication systems
- Ability to foster excellent communication with peers, supervisor(s), department and various newsrooms.
- At least one year of photo editing experience at a publication
- Ability to work well with editors
- Proven ability to juggle multiple priorities, plan ahead and hit deadlines
- Ability to edit and re-write photo captions accurately, with clarity, without bias.
- Must be able and willing to work irregular hours, nights, weekends and holidays as necessary.
- Attending meetings with peers, supervisor(s), department and newsroom regularly; participating in and fostering communication.
- Maintaining up-to-date skills on various print platforms and keeping abreast of current events and newsmakers in news, sports and pop culture.
- Solid editorial background, regardless of platform/medium
- Strong word skills
- Strong people skills
- Strong work ethic