Hello, We’re Built In
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. Our audience of sought-after candidates use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and applying to jobs at companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston and Seattle.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.
We’re looking for a Managing Editor
We are looking for someone who is a startup lovin’, analytical, tech-crazy editor to manage Built In’s community content strategy for our seven local markets + BuiltIn.com. You can edit and help craft editorial content that engages our tech-savvy digital audience as well as bring out the best in your editors and writers. You are passionate about serving and promoting the tech community and thrive in a fast-paced and collaborative startup culture.
How you’ll contribute
- Lead the strategy for our new community content teams
- You’ll help create story concepts that span a wide variety of goals
- You’ll initially manage two editors (each editor manages up to five writers), but over the next year your team will grow to four editors.
- Elevate good storytelling into great storytelling, but with a firm pulse on prioritization and execution.
- Help mentor and manage a team of editors and writers.
- Offer improvements to streamline the editorial process and, make us more effective and efficient.
- Maintain a keen eye on publishing schedules and editorial calendars, with a creative and collaborative approach to finding solutions.
- Help hire, train and mentor new members of the team.
What you need
- 3+ years of experience as an editor
- 3+ years of prior management experience
- You should have a deep familiarity with the tech industry, startups and tech companies
What We Value
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.