Neighborhoods.com is seeking a meticulous, web-savvy, and adaptable Associate Editor to join our team in Chicago’s Fulton River District neighborhood. The Associate Editor is an entry-level utility player for the marketing team who edits and writes content for the Neighborhoods.com blog, performs administrative tasks, and builds their skills by assisting the Editorial Manager with projects big and small.
Neighborhoods.com is the first online real estate resource to put the neighborhood at the center of the home search. Our platforms, 55places.com and Neighborhoods.com, invite users to imagine their life in a new area by providing a local’s perspective, including detailed descriptions and resident reviews of schools, amenities, and the surrounding community.
At Neighborhoods.com, we’re all about transparency. Continuous improvement is one of our core values. If you’re a grammar enthusiast who notices out-of-place commas everywhere you look and always enjoys the opportunity to explain the difference between they’re, their, and there, we want to hear from you!
What you’ll be doing as our Associate Editor:
- Working directly with our Neighborhoods.com Editorial Manager to maintain high editorial standards on our blog
- Performing final edits of blog content for grammar, accuracy, and adherence to AP Stylebook and in-house style standards
- Fact-checking articles
- Ensuring articles reflect SEO best practices and have the components to drive lead conversion on Neighborhoods.com
- Uploading articles using an in-house content management system
- Writing blog content
- Other writing, editing, and administrative duties that help Neighborhoods.com reach a wider audience
We think you could be really successful if you:
- Are a self-starter who is also able to collaborate and bring positive energy to a team environment
- Are highly adaptable and excited to work in a company that is constantly evolving
- Are organized and comfortable using workflow management systems like Asana
- Are eager to learn other digital tools
- Are able to successfully manage multiple projects at once
Basic requirements to do the job:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Prior experience as an intern, editor, or proofreader for a print or online publication (academic/university experience counts!)
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills with a high attention to detail
- Skill in internet research and discerning high-quality sources
- Familiarity with AP Style
- Familiarity with Google Docs and other Google Suite tools
Bonus points if you have:
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- Familiarity with and interest in real estate and homebuying
- A degree in journalism, communications, or humanities
Neighborhoods.com is an equal opportunity employer for people from all different backgrounds. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to ethnicity, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family status, or age. We strive to foster an inclusive environment that is comfortable for everyone. We will not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.