Chicago magazine is an authority in covering the arts, culture, dining, real estate, politics, and city life in Chicago. We’re excited to be seeking a smart, savvy assistant digital editor to oversee the magazine’s social media accounts and web presence.
As assistant digital editor, you’ll be tasked with getting our stories in front of a growing digital audience. In addition to running our social media channels, you’ll also work to bolster out digital brand, engage with our audience, and pitch, write, and edit stories as needed.
- Manage Chicago magazine’s social media accounts, including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Work to build Chicago’s audience on less traditional digital channels, including SnapChat, Reddit, and LinkedIn
- Pitch, write, and edit stories for chicagomag.com
- Monitor and continue to build chicagomag.com’s engagement strategy
- Assist with light research and administrative duties as needed
- Bachelor’s degree and one to two years’ experience in digital journalism (social media experience is preferred but not required)
- Outstanding reporting, writing, and editing skills
- Strong voice on Twitter, Facebook, and other social channels
- A passion for reading and writing about Chicago
- Strong digital savviness, including awareness of industry trends and best practices
- A detail-oriented editorial eye
- Experience fact-checking both short blurbs and complicated features
- Familiarity working with a CMS and a sense of what makes a great web story
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and phone and e-mail etiquette