City of Big Data | Mini Hackathon
For the second in our series of meetups, we are pleased to host a Mini Hackathon on January 16 from 5:30-9:30 PM. This will be your opportunity to sit and work on teams tackling interesting topics together!
We will center the meetup around Chicago's own Array of Things (https://arrayofthings.github.io/), a networked urban sensor project that's changing our understanding of cities and urban life. There are many unique problems this database can help us solve so let’s work together as Chicagoans to dive into the true questions of this city.
At the end of the evening, we will share our accomplishments and push our code to open source.
Let’s learn together!
- We’ll be using NodeJS for any server-side and React for any Web UI work. - We welcome you to come with similar skill sets, but we’ll be best equipped to teach/tutor in these areas.
- Though you’re welcome to work on something other than our suggested topics, we will be focused on supporting the three.
- You need to bring laptop and charger
- You need to bring your own IDE/dev environments
- You will need to have installed
* npm (https://www.npmjs.com/get-npm)
* Nodejs (https://nodejs.org/en/download/)
* Docker (https://www.docker.com/get-started) (we’re trying to rig up a way to get everyone started as quickly as possible…)
WHAT WE’LL PROVIDE:
- Skeleton code for three predetermined topics that will be revealed the week before
- Docker container where applicable
- Food, drink, and fun!
5:30pm - 6:30pm: Introduction, suggested topics, introduction to the tech, networking, eating, gathering into teams.
6:30pm - 8:30pm: Hack! Solsties will both work alongside you and facilitate.
8:30pm - 9:30pm: Closing Ceremonies
DATE/TIME OF SOLSTICE DIGITAL INNOVATION MEETUP SERIES: Mini
Wednesday, January 16, 2019
5:30PM to 9:30PM
A FEW KEY POINTS TO KEEP IN MIND:
- Please RSVP by 12PM, Wednesday, January 16, 2019 and please keep your response up to date. LIMITED SPACE AVAILABLE.
- Upon your arrival you will check-in in the lobby using a valid photo ID, please allow extra time for check-in.
- To ensure the fastest service at security, please provide your legal name and the name(s) of any guest(s), in your RSVP prior to the event.
- Cut-off Time is at 6PM, Wednesday, January 16, 2019.